Kamado grills date back to around 1,000 BC, and although it originated in China, by 1974, it became popular even in western countries. Soon enough, many companies started designing their versions of Kamado grills. This versatile charcoal cook-stove is extremely helpful for cooking food items by grilling or by smoking them. This article is a detailed akorn grill review that will help you understand the various aspects of this charcoal grill before buying one.
Char-Griller Brand Overview
Char-Griller is making some of the cheapest cookers on this planet. This company believes in the principle that customers should get what they are paying for. Hence, the product prices are more viable and popular, even among budget-conscious customers. Many aspiring cooks like to grill or slow-cook the dishes using Char-Griller’s super cheap Offset Smokers. However, Offsets are pretty tricky to work with, especially for a first-timer.
On the other hand, an Akorn grill is more affordable, and people with little to no knowledge about charcoal grills can use it easily.
Akorn Grill In-Depth
Main Specs Overview
|Total Cooking Surface||20 inches|
|Primary Cooking Area||314 sq. in.|
|Temperature Ranges||200 – 700°F (93°C – 371°C).|
|Cooking Surface Material||Insulated, Triple-walled steel body|
|Assembled Height (inches)||45.2 inches|
|Assembled Width (inches)||31.3 inches|
|Assembled Depth (inches)||47.4 inches|
|Assembled Weight (inches)||100lbs (45kg)|
|Lid Material||Porcelain-coated steel|
|Warming Rack Area||133 sq. in.|
|Key Features||Portable design, large cooking area, removable ash pan|
Design and Build Quality
A Kamado is a traditional Japanese charcoal-fueled stove. The Char Griller Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill has a design similar to its distant Asian self but has better features. It has an insulated, triple-walled steel body, that allows it to retain heat for a longer duration. Although not as effective as an excellent ceramic grill, it does its job pretty well, considering its low price.
It is arguably the best charcoal grill smoker, with an ideal design for heat distribution. This is what makes it so efficient at cooking food well. It has a large cooking area of 20 inches in diameter. The cooking grates are sturdy and made from cast iron, which allows it to retain heat for a prolonged period. Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill also has a small, removable circle in the middle that will enable you to add coals.
Ease of Assembly
The assembly of the Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill is generally quite simple. You will put it together in 30-60 minutes and start cooking once you read the instructions. However, Kamado Grills, unlike conventional Smokers, retain heat for a long time. Therefore it is easy to get a higher temperature here than bringing it down.
Ease of Use
The Akorn Kamado Kooker is pretty easy to use. It has two dampers that allow you to control the temperature. Once you get a good grip over adjusting the temperature, cooking will become all the more fun and straightforward. It has a high heat-retention capacity, produces smoke quickly, and will undoubtedly give you the best result.
The Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Charcoal Kooker is sufficiently versatile for outdoor use. With a few added accessories, you can use it to smoke, grill, make a pizza, or even use it as a standard oven. It is affordable, efficient, relatively light considering its size, and has an excellent overall performance.
If you go through a standard akorn grill review, you will find that cleaning is pretty easy here. You can remove the ash after cooking and then detach the ash pan at the bottom. It has cast-iron grates and a porcelain-coated interior that makes it easy to wipe away the grease build-up after each use. If you don’t want to experience any problem in the long run, remove the grease properly every time you use it.
Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Kooker: Overall
- Incredibly versatile and can handle a broad range of temperature
- Light in weight, which increases its portability
- The Ash Pan is removable; hence you can clean it easily
- Some customers were not satisfied with the cast iron grates, which tends to rust over time
- Some issues with the quality
- According to a few charcoal grill reviews, heavy use requires better maintenance
Accessories to Use with Akorn Grill
The best thing about Akorn Kamado Kooker Review is its versatility and how, by adding a few simple accessories, it can become a smoker, a pizza maker, etc.
Here are a few accessories that you can add:
Char-Griller Smokin’ Stone
It is a must-have for people who love smokey meat or love making pizzas on their Grill. It helps by decreasing the direct heat while still allowing indirect heat to move up to the Grill and smoke your meat. The cordierite body makes it incredibly strong and is great at heat absorption and retention.
Char-Griller Akorn Cover
It’s always better to pick a separate cover for your Grill. It will help you protect it against the weather and reduce any build-up of moisture, dirt, or dust. Thus your Grill will automatically get a long-life.
Automatic BBQ Temperature Controller
This little device will allow you to measure the temperature of your charcoal grill and adjust it automatically. It’s a perfect accessory for people who want a super easy, set it once, and forget it type of grill. It will reduce your hassles and worries and also bring down the total coal-consumption.
Tips for Proper Use of Akorn Grill
Given below are some basic guidelines to use a char griller akorn reviews properly:
- When the coals are already hot or warm, don’t use lighter fluid on them. If you don’t want to risk an imminent explosion, avoid using highly volatile liquids like kerosene or gasoline. It is best to use solid, electric, or other types of starters specially made for lighting charcoal briquettes.
- Be careful while handling the electric starter. Unplug it with caution after use and store it only after it has cooled down. Never use an electric starter if you’re standing on wet ground or during rainfall.
- Let the coals burn out altogether before you dispose of them. Always use heavy-duty aluminum foil while disposing of cold ashes. If you must throw away the ashes before it gets a chance to cool down completely, then soak it well in water and wrap it up in a non-combustible container.
- Once you light up the Grill, please do not touch the wood chunks or the briquettes to check their temperature. Also, keep the Grill uncovered until it’s ready to cook. Charcoal Grills need oxygen to burn properly, so make sure all the vents are open while cooking.
And that’s about it! We hope that our research was helpful to you. We’ve conducted a lot of research to create our article. You can also go through the Akorn Grill review 2021 to ensure that you know its various aspects. Just remember that proper hygiene will allow you to enjoy the grilling season and avoid stomach diseases or food poisoning. Always store the food items meant for grilling or smoking separately in individual plastic bags to prevent cross-contamination. Grill safely and enjoy your meal!