A perfect family gathering is incomplete without finely grilled meat and some drinks. People often wonder what the best budget to buy a gas grill is. You can get the best gas grills under 500!
Gas grills are a must if you love cooking. You can experiment with authentic dishes and have beautifully cooked meat for dinner. Unlike the charcoal grill, you do not feel the direct fire in the gas grill.
However, most people pay attention to gas grills under $500 reviews. This budget is acceptable to most. Keeping this is in mind, we have done a thorough review of the best gas grill for the money. We have paid attention to each aspect to help you choose the best inexpensive gas grill.
Gas Grills Benefits over Charcoal Models
Gas grills are the smoke-less and energy-efficient replacement for charcoal grills. They are better in the following ways:
- Cleaner fuel: Gas grills use propane or natural gas as fuel. These do not produce smoke or consume natural resources like wood or charcoal.
- Convenient to use: You just need to switch on the gas to cook in case of gas grills. No need to ignite the fire, make it reach optimum temperature, control the amount of smoke, and also keep a tab on the meat to prevent over-cooking.
- Safe and convenient: Gas grills pose no fire hazard. They are portable too. These facilities are not available with charcoal grills. They are stationary. You always need to keep an eye on the fire and sparks.
- Inexpensive: The initial investment in a gas grill may outrun a charcoal grill. But, then, charcoal is expensive and it accumulates at a huge cost. On the other hand, once you buy a gas grill, you can use it from your domestic gas supply line.
- Customizable grill: You can customize your gas grill with different types of burners, accessories, and BTU configuration.
Choosing the Best Gas Grill under $500: What to Consider?
You can get top rated gas grills easily under $500. This guide will help you in looking for the desirable features in gas grills under $500:
Fuel type: Natural Gas Vs Propane
Both natural gas and propane are clean fuel options. Top gas grill manufacturers use either one of them as the fuel. However, both differ in some aspects:
- Fuel type: Both natural gas and propane are fossil fuels. However, when released in the atmosphere, natural gas is a greenhouse effect harming the environment. Propane is non-toxic and it also produces 30-90% less CO into the atmosphere upon burning. However, both the gases show similar behavior upon burning.
- Energy efficiency: Energy efficiency of a fuel is measured in BTU or British Thermal Units. A cubic foot of natural gas contains about 1,030 BTU while a cubic foot of propane contains 2,516 BTU. So, propane contains 2.44 times more usable energy than natural gas.
- Safety: Natural gas dissipates quicker than propane. It has a characteristic smell. If there is some gas leakage, you will detect it sooner than the propane gas leak. So, natural gas grills are safer to use.
- Cost: Propane has higher BTU than natural gas and this directly affects the cost. Propane is cheaper than natural gas.
- House fuel fittings: If you have the natural gas supply for your home, switching to propane can be an expensive affair. So, while you look for cheap gas grills, you need to pay attention to which gas fitting you have in your home.
Size & Portability
If you love cooking, you should look for grills that serve your purpose. Whether you entertain large groups, you should go for large grills. When you have small gatherings, go for the portable grills.
Portable grills can come with wheels under their tall legs or just tabletops with handles. Check it physically if you can easily carry the grill.
Do you have enough space on your cooktop and garden/patio to accommodate a big grill? If not, go for smaller and portable variants. The grill’s cooking area should be large enough to meet your requirements.
BTU indicates how fast your grill heats up. But, BTU is not an ideal way to determine heating efficiency. Instead, you should focus on heat flux.
Heat flux for BTU/sq.inch = total BTU of primary burners ÷ size of main cooking area
Extra Features & Accessories
Best gas grills under $500 2020 come with numerous extra features and accessories for a better cooking experience. The popular ones are:
- Side burner
- Electronic ignition
- Warming rack
- Porcelain-coated cast iron cooking grates
- Modular structure
- Temperature gauge
- An infrared cooking system in some grills
- Smoker attachment
- Side shelves
- Stainless steel top etc.
Cleaning & Maintaining Your Gas Grill: Useful Tips
- Clean the grates with a soft brush and warm detergent water before and after every use.
- Clean the burners with grease remover after 3-4 uses.
- Keep checking the burners for blockage.
- Keep the drip tray and catch pan free from grease and soot.
- Check the grill regularly for gas leakage. Prepare an 80:20 mixture of water and dish soap. Spray it over the gas valve, hose, and regulator. Air leakage will lead to bubble formation and you can detect the spot.
Can a propane grill use natural gas?
Some best gas grills under $500 have a dual-fuel system. You can use both fuels in them. If you do not have that, you should get a conversion kit.
How long should a gas grill last?
Gas grill reviews suggest that these last for 2-3 years maximum.
What are the best gas grill brands?
The best propane grill under 500 based on gas grills under $500 reviews are:
- Weber Spirit
- Monument Grills overview
- Char-Broil performance
The best natural gas grills under 500 are:
- Weber spirit
- Napoleon grills
- Broil King
Conclusion and Final Thoughts
We have made a list of best gas grills under $500 2020 based on gas grill ratings on different platforms. Grilling technology is undergoing tremendous development. We hope this list of best gas grills under 500 will help you in making an informed purchase.